Vacation Owners Bullish on Timeshare Opportunities
(MIAMI, FL) -- Interval International, a prominent worldwide provider of vacation services and an operating segment of Interval Leisure Group, Inc., recently reported that its U.S.-resident members own approximately 1.9 weeks of shared ownership vacation time or its equivalent, travel an estimated 22 nights per year solely for leisure purposes, and report household income of approximately $121,175 per year. More than half further report household income that is at least two times the median household income reported by the U.S. Census Bureau. Additionally, twenty percent state they are likely to purchase additional vacation time in the future.
These findings are from Interval International's 2011 U.S. Membership Profile, which was developed from a sample of U.S.-resident vacation owners maintaining an active membership with Interval. The online study was undertaken to provide insights for use in the development of services and benefits to be offered to Interval members and may also be useful to resort developers and prospective industry entrants in designing their products and developing their marketing strategies.
Respondents desiring to purchase additional vacation time continue to seek warm-weather locations and family-style accommodations. They remain most interested in the two-bedroom configuration, with nearly two-thirds (65.8 percent) citing a preference for that unit type. Approximately nine percent aspire to purchase a unit consisting of three bedrooms or more.
"The opportunity to vacation with family and friends has long been one of the hallmarks of timesharing," said David Gilbert, Interval's executive vice president of resort sales and marketing. "Even in challenging economic times, it is very encouraging to see that the appeal of vacation ownership remains strong among our members."
Other notable findings from the 2011 U.S. Membership Profile include:
- Members spend an average of 6.2 nights away from home when visiting domestic locations for leisure and 4.1 nights when visiting international locales.
- Florida, California, Hawaii, Arizona and South Carolina represent the most frequently cited destinations members would like to visit in the next two years. Internationally, they cite the Caribbean as their most preferred locale.
- Fully eight out of 10 acquired their timeshare interests from resort project developers and management companies.
- Approximately 83 percent of Interval's U.S. members report satisfaction with their timeshare ownership.
- Nearly one-third own a second home (not including their timeshare).
- More than two out of every three (68 percent) would be interested in taking a cruise during the next two years.
Based in Miami, Interval International has been a pioneer and innovator in serving the vacation ownership market for 35 years. Today, Interval has an exchange network of approximately 2,600 resorts in over 75 nations. Through offices in 15 countries, Interval offers products and benefits to resort clients and approximately two million families who are enrolled in various membership programs